Looking for a new bible for your artistic journaling? There are many different options available, and it can be hard to decide which one is right for you. In this blog post, we will discuss the 7 best bibles for journaling to suit your expressive needs. We’ll also share some tips on what to look out for when choosing a journaling Bible.
What is Bible journaling?
Bible journaling is a popular way to engage with Scripture. It involves using words, art, and creativity to express your thoughts and feelings as you read God’s Word. Journaling can be a great way to deepen your understanding of the Bible and connect with Him on a personal level.
Many Bible journaling fans love the artistic process because it helps them to:
- Study the Bible in a creative and interactive way.
- Reflect on their faith journey or specific verses.
- Express their thoughts and feelings about God and the world around them.
- Document praises, answered prayers, and spiritual insights.
- Share their faith with others through beautiful aesthetics.
Things to consider when searching for the best Bibles for journaling
Here are a few factors to think about when shopping for your ideal journaling Bible:
- The size of the Bible. You’ll want to choose a Bible that is large enough to write in, but not so large that it is cumbersome to carry around.
- The type of paper. Look out for journaling Bibles with thicker paper that is better for painting and drawing. This is especially important if you intend to use ink pens or colored markers. Thicker pages are more likely to prevent unwanted bleed.
- The translation. Pick a Bible with a translation that suits your reading style. If you are looking for a Bible to journal in, you may prefer one that uses more poetic or descriptive language to spur artistic expression.
- The layout. Look out for journaling Bibles with nice and wide side-margins. These will give you plenty of blank areas to fill with your creative artwork.
- The price. Choose a journaling Bible that fits your budget and needs. Pricier does not always equal better!
Here’s our list of 7 of the best Bibles for journaling!
1. NIV Beautiful Word Bible (variety of covers available)
With a freshly updated design, the NIV Beautiful Word Bible now includes 100 additional illustrated verses. For organized folks, this edition also comes with sticker tabs to help you categorize your reading and study time.
In addition, the wide side-margins on each page give ample room for you to write notes, create art, and so on. This BIble is also printed on high-quality paper perfect for mixed media art. It is average in size – 7 x 2.01 x 8.75 inches. This strikes a good balance between portability and Bible journaling space. The 9.5 pt font size is average for most readers.
In short, the Beautiful Word Bible series offers some of the best Bibles for journaling available. It is highly rated among customers.
2. ESV Single Column Journaling Bible (many covers available – but this is the customizable blank version!)
The ESV Single Column Journaling Bible is perfect for anyone looking to artistically express their prayers and thoughts. This specific edition features a fully customizable cover – a blank canvas that you can uniquely design with pens, markers, or whatever you desire.
In addition, the Bible also features 2 inch side-margins that give you a decent amount of space to work with. The pages are decently thick and cream-colored with a 7.5 pt font size. That’s a little on the small side but won’t affect most readers. The Bible measures in at a modestly sized 6.2 x 1.6 x 8.3 inches.
3. NIV Artisan Collection Bible (among our favorite Bibles for journaling; the series has some of the best cover art!)
This is easily one of the most gorgeous Bible series for journaling. Each high-quality cover art is made from layered alcohol ink with pages lined by sparkling foil. In short, this Bible looks beautiful both inside and out!
This Bible has also wide margins that give you ample room to take notes and create art. However, keep in mind that the pages are not as thick as other Bibles on this list. Thus, you may want to stick to using pen and coloring pencils instead of markers.
The 9.5 pt font makes the NIV Artisan Collection Bible series very easy to read. It also measures in as a Goldilocks 6.5 x 2 x 8.5 inches – not too large for carrying, not too small for art.
4. Tyndale NLT Inspire Bible (series most suited for those who prefer just coloring-in)
The award-winning Tyndale NLT Inspire Bible was the pioneering art journaling Bible of its kind. Packed with more than 400 line-art illustrations, it features partial and full-page Scripture art that can be colored in as you wish.
Some pages give you blank 2-inch margins for you to freely express yourself. However, many of these spaces are also pre-filled with line-art.
Thus, if you prefer to entirely create your own writings or drawings from scratch, this journaling Bible may not be for you. However, if you’re cool with coloring-in, the Tyndale NLT Inspire Bible is absolutely perfect!
It also features good – but fairly thin – paper quality. Thus, be careful with the art tools you use to avoid bleed. In addition, the 8.65 pt font is clearly printed and nicely spaced, making for easy reading.
This journaling Bible clocks in at 6.7 x 1.9 x 8.5 inches and weighs 2.5 pounds. That’s a fraction smaller and lighter than some other best Bibles for journaling on this list.
5. KJV Journal the Word Bible (regular and large print versions available)
The KJV Journal the Word Bible features a high-quality cover that’s simply looks gorgeous! It is also made up of thicker-than-normal cream-colored pages that do a good job to prevent most ink bleeds. The extra-wide margins mean plenty of art space.
Measuring 8 x 2.38 x 9 inches, this large-print edition is bulkier than most other best journaling Bibles on the list. However, the 10 pt font also makes it one of the most legible to read.
Most Bibles for journaling tend to be NLT, ESV, or NIV. So, if you prefer the classic KJV translation, this particular edition is one of the best of its kind available.
6. ESV Illuminated Bible (among the most popular Bibles for journaling)
The ESV Illuminated Bible contains 500 hand-lettered gold ink images. The typography across its pages are extremely eye-catching, topped with a classy cloth-over-board cover.
The single-column text and wide margins also give tons of room for notes, prayers, and designs. Perfect for anyone looking for the best Bibles for journaling!
This Bible is 7.1 x 2.2 x 9.6 inches. Not the smallest in size but still easily carried around. The pages are fairly thick and cream-colored. You may want to avoid markers. Suitable ink pens should be safe from bleed.
7. Illustrating Bible NIV (Spiral bound series with varied covers)
Now for something a little different. Not only is the Illustrating Bible NIV uniquely spiral-bound, the pages are also 75% thicker than standard Bibles. This means a far lower chance of bleed.
Measuring 10.2 x 2.5 x 11.7 inches, this BIble is definitely on the larger side. It’s also heavier than most other Bibles for journaling on the list. However, the big plus here is that you get huge 3.75 inch side-margins – an absolute dream for many Bible journalers!
The 8 pt font leans on the smaller side. So you may want to use this Bible primary for your artistic expressions, less for regular reading.
What are your favorite Bibles for journaling?
Through notes and art, Bible journaling is a great way to connect with Scripture and get more out of your time in prayer and reflection.
We hope you’ve found this list of favorite Bibles for journaling helpful as you seek out the perfect one for you.
What other Bibles would you add to this list? Drop us an email and let us know – we’d love to hear from you!